- Pattern used
An existing shower cap – I cut off the elastic which had already died anyway, and used the resulting plastic circle as my pattern. I added a few more cm to allow for a channel for elastic.
- Fabric/trims/notions used
The fabric is laminated cotton from Spotlight. It was more flexible than I was expecting.
6mm woven elastic
- Inspiration (for the garment)
The shower caps I’d buy all seemed to have elastic that deteriorated very quickly. I got sick of going through them! Then I saw the laminated fabric and
realised a shower cap was the perfect excuse to buy some to play around with figured I may as well give it a try.
- Useful info
I used a simple #12 needle, normal polyester thread and a standard stitch length in my sewing machine, and there isn’t any discernible leaking. Not sure how a raincoat made that way would stand up to a storm in terms of waterproofing, but for a shower cap it was fine.
However it gets wet in the channel where the elastic is, so I don’t know how long it will be till it goes mildewy there in spite of me drying it in an airy place after each use.
Er, well, this is why I needed a good excuse. Ahem.
Full price it was $30pm but it was half-price at $15pm. I bought 50cm = $7.50
Elastic = $1
- Last word
A great excuse to try laminated fabric! And it’s lasted aaaages so far. Yay!