The Galah Bra (Yes! I made a bra!)

31 Oct

And yes, it’s pink and grey again…

Kwik Sew 2489

  • Pattern: Kwik Sew 2489

Found it in an op-shop years and years ago!

  • Inspiration:

All the beautiful bras and lingerie people have been sewing then posting onto their blogs. Mmmmm!

  • Fabric/notions/trim used:

Stretch (ish) satin in pink and grey galah colours from a  previous project idea I never actually did. (told you I love those two colours together 🙂

Pink bra fastening, straps and underwire casing cannibalised from a bra whose cups had stretched out of shape while still fairly new.

Lingerie elastic from Booby Traps I bought years ago (ie last time I decided I’d give bra-making a go.)

  • Construction notes:

I put the bra fastening on the opposite way to RTW bras. Do you know how difficult it is to do up and undo because of that? Like being 12 again and trying to put bras on for the first time in my life!

Fitting issues: I don’t know why it surprised me that I had similar fitting issues in a sewing pattern bra to RTW bras, but it did. The top of the cup cuts into my bust in RTW and this bra pattern. I must have quite a full high bust, I think. I get around this issue by getting stretchy cup-fabric in RTW bras. But in this satin the “stretch” was really only a token stretch. So I took to the bra with my scissors and sliced into the top bra cup piece, let it open to where it needed naturally, then filled in the gap with a scrap of fabric.

It actually worked! I measured the width of the gap and it is 4cm. So next bra I make I’ll redo the cup, cut and spread it, maybe in three different places to get a more even spread of the extra 4cm.

I also think I’ll run a line of clear elastic along the top of the cup for extra safe keeping. And possibly make the top edge of the cup a bit higher so everything stays neatly were it is supposed to.

I was looking at the cup style of my latest fave RTW bra. That side cup piece is interesting. I’m considering drafting that cup and try that as a pattern. So many possibilities!

 

Take a look at the inside of the bra. So messy! The satin frayed the moment I touched it, so in some parts I just had to zig-zag right over the edge, like at the base of the cup pictured. Also, white in the elastic side and grey on the outer would have looked much nicer. *takes notes for next time*

  • Cost

50cm stretch satin = $5

Pattern = 50c

Total = $5.50

  • Final word:

Hey, it worked!!! 😀 It is very comfortable too. Bonus! Must go make another one. It was a lot easier than I expected.

Advertisements

4 Responses to “The Galah Bra (Yes! I made a bra!)”

  1. Amanda November 1, 2012 at 6:39 am #

    Okay, this is seriously awesome! Well done on bra sewing- I’m way too scared to try and take this on! And may I say pink and grey is the best colour combo EVER. A fine choice 😀

    Like

    • Tropical Threads November 1, 2012 at 3:47 pm #

      Hi Amanda, I’m pretty chuffed, I tell you! I can’t get over that it’s actually wearable and even *gasps* comfortable O_o

      And yeah, pink and grey FTW!!!

      Like

  2. kbenco November 2, 2012 at 7:21 pm #

    That looks pretty good to me, and kudos to you for making a bra, they are definitely scary

    Like

    • Tropical Threads November 2, 2012 at 7:27 pm #

      Hi Kbenco, Thankyou! I’m very proud of myself. Yep scary. I want to try another one but it’s taking me a while to get up my nerve again. Eeep!

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: