Last year I joined the Vintage Pattern Pledge, which got me finally using some of my coveted but never sewn vintage patterns. It was so much fun this year I just kept sewing up vintage patterns. Most of them so far this year have been nighties. Well, variations on a vintage nightie them.
Apart from the appeal of living in one’s jammies or nighties, the general lack of figure-huggingness makes up into clothing just perfect for the heat and humidity that characterises my home, Darwin.
Teal butterflies! What more can a girl want? Well, enough fabric left on the roll to make a dress. Lacking that I just bought what was left, and realised when I shopped my stash it went beautifully with this turquoise linen. I was a bit worried the linen would be hot but it’s loose weave so it’s actually quite breezy.
I used Style 3010
It’s a bit of a coffin-nightie. The back is a basic shift dress, not empire line like the front. Not sure if the designer thought it would be more comfortable in bed? The back of the negligee was empire-line however, so I used that instead. The sleeve has a smooth head but I always need to increase in the bicep, which usually ends up accidentally increasing the sleeve head. Rather than adjust it back out, I usually just gather it up. It’s an Anne of Green Gables thang ;-P
The skirt’s a bit wider than the pattern too. I’m not as skinny in the hips compared to waist and bust as the pattern seemed to think a woman ought to be, so I just used double the width of the fabric. I think it came out looking close to the original style.
My only real issue with this is the bust dart. Creating my usual FBA, I decided to split the dart into two. I had considered rotating some of the extra out at the side-front of the bodice. That’s very easy in an empire top but the pattern had hardly any of the bust shaping there and I wanted to stay true to the style out of curiousity more than anything.
The two darts were very hard to get sitting just right. In the end I went for ‘the best I can achieve while keeping my sanity’. The sides just kept puffing out. Faffing with it after it was finished revealed it’s due to being a bit big across the front, rather than having two darts being the problem. But hey, it’s a nightie-dress. Loose is good! And I’ve learnt something for next time.
Here’s my favourite picture. No I wasn’t doing ballet (not then anyway ;-P), I was picking a black thread off the skirt I’d noticed as my picture was being taken!