I have a few makes from last year I haven’t blogged about. All the oomph went out of me when my beloved sewing companion HattieCattie died last year. It didn’t help that she’s all through my sewing pictures, making it painful to look through them.
Anyway, having recovered some of that oomph … years ago I made up the Butterick 5130 pattern (for knits).
I loved the dress and wore it to death, even though I was never greatly taken with the elastic halfway across the bust and back. It left me wondering kind of like er, why put them there???
So for last year’s version I simply eliminated that seam/elastic casing and created a simple empire-line peasant dress.
This would have worked well if the light knit rayon I used hadn’t been so thin you could see my bra underneath it (more obviously so in reality than in this picture), made worse by the weight of the dress dragging things down.
But the general idea of eliminating that seam worked well, so I redid the dress in a woven craft cotton. I measured the pattern before I cut it to make sure it would fit round me without needing stretch. It worked well apart from the sleeves being a tad too tight, but not unwearably so. (Look at the different lengths of my hair! One photo taken at the beginning of last year and the other taken at the end of last year 😀 That’s a lot of added length for curly hair!)
I adjusted the sleeves and tried the new pattern out on a top. It is very comfortable now. I’ve since made another dress based on the pattern, too, but I lowered the under bust elastic to the true waist. I’ll have to blog about them both soon 🙂
This pattern is a lot nicer than the pattern picture indicates, for the record!