First a non-sewing dance project: A hair bun cover. It actually helped to keep my crazy hair secure in a bun but the shape was weird. Ballerina buns are rounder and flatter than this. Again I had played it safe and followed some (retro) crochet pattern. Next time I’ll keep reworking it till it’s how I want it. It’s made out of ribbon from some awe-inspiringly awesome yarn/embroidery/handicrafty shop in central Sydney years ago. Plenty more for another try, or 20!
Next, a real win created from a fail. I bought a black short-sleeved leotard online, which, in spite of the product description’s measurements, was too short in the body. Or it was assume the dancer’s body would be 1/4 the circumference of mine? (This is very common in rtw ballet gear. Normal-sized, let alone plus-sized people aren’t supposed to dance, apparently *rolls eyes*). I decided I’d lengthen it and transform it into a leotard-dress.
I auditioned many fabric in Spotlight for the part and chose on this gorgeous turquoise and black ‘dry knit’. I took the sleeves off the leotard and replaced them with dry knit triangle cap sleeves. I cut and sewed the sleeve material into a band. Then I took a very deep breath, reminded myself if I didn’t do this I wouldn’t wear the leotard anyway so had nothing to lose, and cut it across under the bust. Next I sewed the band between the bottom and top bits, extending the body by 5cm. I sandwiched the dry knit (1/2 circle) skirt into the top seam top bit. This neatly hid the rather messy band, too. Like this!
er … Oops!
I found my unpicker and redid it. The below pictures shows the lovely swishy drape of the dry knit skirt.
This is on high rotation as teaching wear. I feel comfortable, my students can see the bits of my body I need them to see and it’s very easy to chuck on over a pair of tights. The fabric was so wide I was able to get a pair of knee-length harem pants of the same style as the blue above, too. I wear them on high rotation too, as they’re practical and comfortable for pilates as well.